These pioneer families, so closely
identified with the early colonists under Stephen F. Austin, and in
the settlement, organization, and development of Fort Bend County,
came to Texas respectively in 1821 and 1822. Thomas Barnett's league
of land, granted to him by the Mexican government, was located in
the lower part of Fort Bend County at "Clear Lake," where Duke's
Station is now situated on the Santa Fe road; the property now
belonging to John R. Fenn.
The Nancy Spencer league, as it is called, was located on the Brazos
River, eight miles above the present town of Richmond, and was
granted to Nancy Spencer in 1824. In that same year the Craunkaway
Indians attacked some of the colonists, and a company was raised by
Captain Randall Jones to march against them. Mr. Spencer belonged to
this company and among others was killed in rthe battle that ensued.
The widow, Nancy Spencer, afterwards married Thomas Barnett and
raised a large family, one of these being Mrs. Sarah C. Dyer, mother
of Mrs. Lottie Dyer Moore, now the wife of Mr. John M. Moore. Mrs.
Moore inherited the Spencer league of land: and owns it at the
present time, it having been in the family since the days of the
Thomas Barnett was a member of the Texas Congress and one of the
signers of the Texas Declaration of Independence. He was prominent
in the organization of Fort Bend County, which was created from
Austin County in 1837. President Houston appointed Mr. Barnett Chief
Justice of Austin County, and also contractor to locate lands
between Barnett and Wm. B. Travis. Among old documents, now in the
possession of John M. Moore, are invitations from President Lamar to
Thomas Barnett and family to attend receptions, and other social
functions. This was while General Lamar was President of the
Republic of Texas.
The great grandparents of Mrs. Lottie Dyer Moore, William and Martha
Stafford, were also early settlers of Fort Bend County. Their league
of land was east of Richmond and is now a part of the Cunningham
sugar plantation, and Staford's Station on the Southern Pacific
Railroad is situated on the Stafford league also. During the Mexican
invasion the Stafford place was burned by the advance of Santa
Anna's army under Colonel Delgado.
Among other property of Mr. Stafford's destroyed at that time was a
fine gin, the first, probably, that was erected in Fort Bend County.
The father of Mrs. Louie Moore, J. Faster Dyer, was a native of Fort
Bend County, and a prominent stock raiser and landowner up to the
time of his death, which occurred in 1582.
Dr. Matt. Moore and his wife, Mrs. Henrietta Moore, parents of John
M. Moore, came to Texas in 1852, and first, settled in Wharton
County and moved to Fort Bend County in 1857, buying land on Oyster
Creek; the family however, living in Richmond, where Doctor Moore
practiced medicine until his death in 1865. He was a fine physician,
fearless in time, of epidemics, cheerfully risking his life among
yellow fever patients, standing as a tower of strength at all times
among his people and died honored and respected, by all. John M.
Moore, his son, has been a prominent man in, the business, social,
and political development of Fort Bend County for the last twenty
years, spending part of his time in San Antonio for the purpose of
schooling his children, but all of his interests are in Fort Bend
Fort Bend County
Contribute to Texas Genealogy
If you have
information you would like contribute to the website, please
use our comment form!! If you find a broken link please let