At present there are five
chartered institutions in the county, three in Bonham, one at Honey
Grove, and one at Savoy.
The Carlton College
A mixed school is situated in Bonham, was founded by Elder Charles
Carlton in 1867, and is yet under the control of that gentleman and
his son, with other assistants. It incorporated in 1874, as the
Bonham Christian College, with power to confer degrees. The average
yearly matriculation is about two-hundred. While this college is not
sectarian, it is more largely patronized by the Christian
denomination, Mr. Carlton being an Elder of that church. This old
institution has turned out a great many young men and women whom the
county will not blush to own, as having been "finished'' in her own
Is the next oldest chartered institution in the county; Professor R.
R. Halsell, the President, founded this institution in 1876, and
obtained a charter for its incorporation, three years later. The
annual matriculation numbers from two-hundred and fifty to
three-hundred and fifty. The present faculty consists of R. R.
Halsell, Prest., Lewis Holland, Vice Prest., J. T. Ashcroft, and L.
W, Pierce. This college has turned out about three hundred young men
and young ladies, with finished educations, since it was founded. If
a young man or lady is anxious for an education, and with-out means,
the president never turns them away, but admits them, and takes his
chances for remuneration when the applicants have completed their
Prof. Halsell was born in Kentucky in 1843, came to Texas when about
22 years old. He completed his education at Ladonia in this, county
a few years later, under the Ex-President of Canehill College,
Arkansas. He is a thorough scholar, probably the best mathematician
in the county, and, a hard worker.
Every year, daring commencement exercises, the students, and
ex-students of this college have a reunion at which the pleasures of
school life are revived and perpetuated.
The present faculty, are thorough educators, refined and cultured
gentlemen, and their success is, certain.
Honey Grove, has been somewhat unfortunate in the management or
maintenance of her high schools and colleges. The town is scarcely
large enough to support two colleges, and in trying to maintain two,
both of them have been crippled. One of them, the Walcot Institute
has suspended, leaving the field to the Honey Grove High School.
This college is under the control of the Methodist Church and is
presided over by Prof. Clark, who, as an educator and
disciplinarian, is among the first of the county. This Institute
matriculates about 150 students annually.
The Masonic Female Institute
Is the only chartered Institution in the county devoted exclusively
to the education of females. This excellent college is healthily and
pleasantly situated in the northern portion of the city of Bonham.
The building is a large two story brick, with spacious grounds and
gardens attached. Prof W. D. Allen, has charge as President, and
began his third scholastic year on the 6th of September of this
year. Every department is presided over by excellent teachers who do
their whole duty.
The only college in the county devoted exclusively to the education
of males, is situated in the western portion of Bonham, a neatly
finished two story brick building, built on an elevation, and
surrounded with a large campus securely enclosed. This institution
was incorporated in 1883. Prof. Jno. P. Nelson, of Virginia, is the
President, and head of an able faculty. Judging from the liberal
patronage of this, and the Masonic Institute, the people seem to be
favoring unmixed schools.
The High School
At Dodd City, was organized by Prof. Gill, in 1877, who was
succeeded by Prof. Wilson. Under the management of this gentlemen,
the school, although not regularly chartered has taken its place
among the first colleges of the county. Prof. Wilson is a thorough
scholar, a cultured gentleman, and unquestionably, the most
experienced educator, in the county. He has served as principal of
the Summer Normal School for this district, several successive
terms, and has given perfect satisfaction.
The High School matriculates about 150 pupils, annually.
To recapitulate the educational facilities of Fannin County, for
white and colored make the following showing:
Common schools, 129.
Academics and high schools, 6.
Chartered institutions with power to confer degrees, 5.
Return to Fannin County
Return to Texas
Contribute to Texas Genealogy
If you have
information you would like contribute to the website, please
use our comment form!! If you find a broken link please let